Find a course
Find the course you are looking for by either selecting it from the dropdown or entering a keyword
- Introduction to Commercial Diving Careers Day
- Premium Industry Package
- Construction Career Package
- Standard Career Package
- HSE Closed Bell
- HSE SCUBA
- HSE Surface Supplied
- HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
- Commercial Enriched Air Nitrox
- Subsea Construction
- CSWIP 3.1U Underwater Inspection Preparatory Course
- Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Course
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Surface Supplied & Top Up
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Closed Bell
- IMCA Diver Medic Technician
- IMCA Assistant Life Support Technician
- IMCA Trainee Air Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor Experience Course
- Kirby Morgan Helmet & Bandmask Operator Course
At The Underwater Centre we appreciate the financial commitment involved in retraining. We will therefore do what we can to provide advice and support to ensure you start your new career on the right foot. These are just some suggestions of options to consider for financing your studies:
Subsea Sector Fund for Scottish Residents
For courses that end before 31st August 2018, the Scottish Government will pay half the cost of several of our training courses, meaning that you can enhance your diving skills for half price.
You must have been a Scottish resident for a minimum of 12 months. You will not be eligible for Skills Development Fund Subsea Sector (SDFSS) funding for a programme of training if you have already received, or benefited from, SDS funding under the SDFSS or the Transition Training Fund (TTF) and you will not be eligible for the Transition Training Fund after receiving the SDFSS.
Please contact us direct for eligibility criteria and to discuss your chosen course. We can explain the funding process and guide you through the process. We have included documentation for download below however we will supply all required documents during the booking process.
Professional and Career Development Loans
Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans that can be used to help pay for work related learning. You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year’s relevant unpaid practical work). This funding is available until 31st December 2018.
The Young People’s Learning Agency will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards. The loan can be used to pay course fees or other costs such as travel and living expenses. You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support such as grants or bursaries. Apply 2 months before your course starts to give the bank enough time to process your application. Do not apply more than 2 months ahead, as your application will not be accepted
Because the Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial loan product, they should only be considered as an option once all other student funding options have been investigated. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans or contact Careers Advice on 0800 100 900. Our learning provider registration number is 21701.
Transition Training Fund
The Transition Training Fund is open to unemployed individuals or those at risk of redundancy from the oil & gas sector or its supply chain. The Fund has been set up by the Scottish Government and is managed by Skills Development Scotland. It offers support with training grants to help individuals retrain, upskill or get accreditation or certification that would help them get a new job in oil and gas, the wider energy sector, or engineering and manufacturing. You must be resident in Scotland, have been made redundant or currently at risk of redundancy from the oil & gas sector and have worked in the oil & gas sector.
For more information on this fund visit here.
Does the course price include VAT?
Our training courses are exempt from VAT which means you cannot claim back VAT as a business purchase. If you have any further questions then our Student Advisors are available to help you.
If you are, or the company you work for is, registered for VAT in another country within the European Community, the normal business to business rule for services applies. This means that upon provision of the appropriate documentation to The Underwater Centre, your course will be subject to the reverse charge for VAT. The invoice will include the narrative “Customer to account for VAT”. You, or the company you work for, should include the invoice on the next VAT return as a sale and also as a purchase. The VAT can then be reclaimed as usual.
In certain circumstances, if you are, or the company you work for is, based outside the European Community and provide the appropriate documentation to The Underwater Centre, the provision of courses comes outside the scope of UK VAT. This means that no VAT is charged on your invoice so no further action is required.
Speak to one of our Student Advisors for the necessary paperwork; email@example.com or call +44 1397 703786.
You may choose to set yourself up as self-employed. For small business support, visit the corresponding site to where you live:
England – https://www.gov.uk/business or call 0845 600 9 006
Ireland – http://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/ or call 0800 027 0639
Scotland – http://www.bgateway.com/ or call 0845 609 6611
Wales – http://fs4b.wales.gov.uk/ or call 03000 6 03000
- There may be additional funding available within your local area from government or industry. Contact your local support organisations such as your Chamber of Commerce and Job Centre. You can also regularly check our blog and this page, as we will update when any new sources of funding become available.
- Learn Direct Scotland may be able to provide information on funding which is available to you. Call 0808 100 9000 or visit http://www.learndirectscotland.com/.
- If you have been unemployed for a certain amount of time, you may be eligible to receive funding towards training from the Department of Work and Pensions. Ask your local JobCentre Plus for more details.
- In some circumstances, grant assistant may be available for training from your Local Enterprise Company, details of which can be provided by our student advisors or through your local council website.
To return to the diving courses page on our site click here.
For more information and advice about our training contact one of our Student Advisors;
Email: [email protected]
Or call +44 1397 703 786