Find a course
Find the course you are looking for by either selecting it from the dropdown or entering a keyword
- Introduction to Commercial Diving Careers Day
- Premium Industry Package
- Construction Career Package
- Standard Career Package
- HSE Closed Bell
- HSE SCUBA
- HSE Surface Supplied
- HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
- Commercial Enriched Air Nitrox
- Subsea Construction
- CSWIP 3.1U Underwater Inspection Preparatory Course
- Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Course
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Surface Supplied & Top Up
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Closed Bell
- IMCA Diver Medic Technician
- IMCA Assistant Life Support Technician
- IMCA Trainee Air Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor Experience Course
- Kirby Morgan Helmet & Bandmask Operator Course
Allan Nairn, Director of Diving (Bibby Offshore)
Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Course
Providing theoretical knowledge and practical experience in the safe, competent use of Oxy-Arc Ultra-Thermic Underwater Cutting (Oxy-Arc) methods
Course Dates & Price
This course is delivered on an on-demand basis with each place priced at £3,000. Please contact us to discuss your training requirements further.
Until 31st August 2018 Skills Development Scotland funding is available for eligible Scottish residents and businesses. Please contact us to discuss.
Eligible Scottish residents¹ will receive 50% course funding meaning you only pay £1,500
This 5 day course is intended to provide existing commercial divers who have not previously carried out any, or very little, underwater cutting using ultra-thermic methods with both the theoretical knowledge and practical experience in the safe, competent use of Oxy-Arc Ultra-Thermic Underwater Cutting.
Personnel engaged in the practice of underwater cutting must be competent in completing the required task, aware of associated risks and adhere to safe practice when conducting these tasks. Students will undertake a number of theory sessions as well as dry (on-surface) and in-water practical learning in order to safely use the Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting equipment.
The course is structured around the International Association of Oil & Gas Producers (IOGP) R.471 “Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Recommended Practice” and will provide students with knowledge and practical competency in the following areas:
- Safety in burning practices, procedures and equipment handling;
- Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Equipment;
- Theory of other cutting methods;
- Pre-Job Considerations;
- Diver’s Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);
- Oxy-Arc Cutting Risks and Mitigation;
- Equipment Set-Up – Diver;
- Cutting Techniques.
Students will perform a series of theoretical assessments and practical demonstrations of Oxy-Arc cutting. On successful completion of these tasks and passing of assessments, students will be provided with a Certificate of Competence in Underwater Oxy-Arc Cutting.
Students must hold valid and in-date industry recognised certificates in the following:
- Commercial Diving Surface-Supplied;
- Diving Medical;
- First Aid at Work and Oxygen Provider.
The Underwater Centre will provide all necessary diving equipment. However, students are welcome to bring their own dry suit / under-suit covered by a Certificate of Maintenance dated within 6 months prior to course start date. Any additional equipment brought to the dive site must be approved by the Dive Supervisor prior to use.
Students should bring the following:
- Plenty of warm clothing;
- High visibility foul weather waterproof gear;
- Safety footwear.
Note: Appropriate safety equipment and PPE will be provided to students prior to any practical cutting demonstration or task.