Find a course
Find the course you are looking for by either selecting it from the dropdown or entering a keyword
- Introduction to Commercial Diving Careers Day
- Premium Industry Package
- Construction Career Package
- Standard Career Package
- HSE Closed Bell
- HSE SCUBA
- HSE Surface Supplied
- HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
- Commercial Enriched Air Nitrox
- Subsea Construction
- CSWIP 3.1U Underwater Inspection Preparatory Course
- Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Course
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Surface Supplied & Top Up
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Closed Bell
- IMCA Diver Medic Technician
- IMCA Assistant Life Support Technician
- IMCA Trainee Air Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor Experience Course
- Kirby Morgan Helmet & Bandmask Operator Course
HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
Gain the certification required to work offshore as a commercial diver; save 50% on your accommodation with our latest offer
1 week HSE Surface Supplied Top Up: £2,490
This is an advanced air diving qualification, suitable for divers who wish to make a career in the offshore diving industry. It allows you to work offshore using all types of air diving apparatus and techniques including a wet bell. During this course, you will complete at least 7 dives to a depth of 21m (70ft). The focus of the training on this one week course is to learn safety procedures for diving from a wet bell, such as bell rescues or loss of gas, communications or power to the bell. You’ll also perform a number of dives using a ‘Golden Gate’. Diving through a golden gate is an important part of working offshore, so this is essential experience for your commercial diving career.
To further prepare you for offshore work, the dives are conducted using hot water suits, where seawater is heated and then pumped down your umbilical to your suit to keep you warm when in the water. Training will take place from our dedicated wet bell moon pool barge, Red Baron, and you will dive into Loch Linnhe, the sheltered, seawater loch on which the Centre is based.
Special Accommodation Offer – your room and all meals for half price
When booking your course, you can also secure full-board accommodation that includes a shared, en-suite room and three meals, 7 days a week – for just £22/day. This offer means you will save 50% in accommodation costs when compared to our full price accommodation*. Our accommodation is on-site, and only a short walking distance from your diver training site and other facilities, meaning you can focus on your training and we can take care of the rest.
For all available dates and prices click here.
*Accommodation charged at £22 per day. Full price is £44 per day. Offer includes fully-serviced, shared, en-suite room and food (3 meals, 7 days a week). Other additional charges for laundry are not included.
This course is included in our commercial diving packages (see related courses).
The certificates you will obtain when you complete this course are:
- HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
All of our HSE commercial diving courses are recognised by IMCA under the IMCA International Code of Practice for Offshore Diving.
This course is delivered on a full-time basis.
For more information email us on [email protected] or call +44 1397 703 786
Dates & Prices
Please note: Dates marked as Red are Full
For the most up-to-date course dates and availability please contact our student advisors.
In order to be able to attend our HSE Surface Supplied Top Up course you will require the following:
- HSE Surface Supplied certification or equivalent
- First Aid at Work certification (can be attended at The Underwater Centre prior to course start)
- An ‘in-date’ United Kingdom HSE Diving Medical Certificate (we also accept Norwegian, Dutch or Irish HSA approved Diving Medical Certificates);
- In the UK, before you attend a diving medical you must complete this questionnaire and get your own doctor to countersign it, and bring that along with you. You can read more details about the HSE diving medical by downloading the HSE’s MA1 document The Medical Examination and Assessment of Commercial Divers;
- To search for a doctor in the UK who is certified to carry out HSE diving medicals click here. The HSE also accepts diving medicals performed by HSA doctors in Ireland, or diving medicals carried out by some doctors in Norway and Holland. Please contact us if you have a medical from these countries to ensure it is accepted.
Please note, all courses at The Underwater Centre are taught in English, unless previously arranged, so you must have a good understanding of verbal and written English.
You are required to bring the following with you:
- Plenty of warm clothing;
- High visibility foul weather gear (waterproofs);
- A pair of steel toe-capped safety boots.
As part of this course you will receive:
- Underwater Centre Overalls;
- Underwater Centre Commercial Diving T-shirt;
- All course books;
- Submission to the HSE of Competency Assessment.
During your course you will also have use of:
- Hot water suit, neoprene undersuit for under hot water suits, work gloves, dive knife, neoprene hood and hard hat.
For more information email us on [email protected] or call +44 1397 703 786.