Find a course
Find the course you are looking for by either selecting it from the dropdown or entering a keyword
- Introduction to Commercial Diving Careers Day
- Premium Industry Package
- Construction Career Package
- Standard Career Package
- HSE Closed Bell
- HSE SCUBA
- HSE Surface Supplied
- HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
- Commercial Enriched Air Nitrox
- Subsea Construction
- CSWIP 3.1U Underwater Inspection Preparatory Course
- Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Course
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Surface Supplied & Top Up
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Closed Bell
- IMCA Diver Medic Technician
- IMCA Assistant Life Support Technician
- IMCA Trainee Air Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor Experience Course
- Kirby Morgan Helmet & Bandmask Operator Course
Dean Fairbairn, CAD.349
HSE Surface Supplied
Our HSE Surface Supplied diving course includes our latest accommodation offer - saving you 50% on costs
5 week HSE Surface Supplied: £5,250
This is an intermediate qualification allowing the use of surface supplied breathing apparatus for working in inshore waters. The course is suitable for civil engineering divers, dockland and inland waterway divers. However anyone diving in surface supplied equipment needs this qualification.
The course includes 24 dives to a maximum depth of 50m (165ft). You will learn how to dive in different models of diving helmets, such as a Kirby Morgan 17, 37, 18 and 28, and use different deployment methods including shot lines and diving baskets. You will also learn surface decompression techniques, when you decompress in the chamber on the surface breathing oxygen. As the course progresses the depth you dive to will increase, which will help you prepare for the challenge of diving at depth on air.
Our HSE Surface Supplied Course also teaches you how to handle emergency situations such as loss of air or loss of communications and how to rescue a stricken diver. In addition, we include a range of underwater tools and tasks training as part of this course, so you’ll perform tasks underwater such as assembling scaffolding, using tools such as lifting bags, a pneumatic cutting disc, hydraulic drill and impact wrench and a CP9 hammer drill, preparing you for the job of commercial diving, as well as teaching you the diving competencies.
Special Accommodation Offer – your room and all meals for half price
When booking your course, you can also secure full-board accommodation that includes a shared, en-suite room and three meals, 7 days a week – for just £22/day. This offer means you will save 50% in accommodation costs when compared to our full price accommodation*. Our accommodation is on-site, and only a short walking distance from your diver training site and other facilities, meaning you can focus on your training and we can take care of the rest.
For more dates and prices see here.
This course is included in our commercial diving packages (see related courses).
The certificates you will obtain when you complete this course are:
- HSE Surface Supplied
- First Aid at Work
All of our HSE commercial diving courses are recognised by IMCA under the IMCA International Code of Practice for Offshore Diving.
This course is delivered on a full-time basis.
*Accommodation charged at £22 per day. Full price is £44 per day. Offer includes fully-serviced, shared, en-suite room and food (3 meals, 7 days a week). Other additional charges for laundry are not included.
In order to be able to attend our HSE Surface Supplied course you will require the following:
- HSE SCUBA certification or equivalent
- An ‘in-date’ United Kingdom HSE Diving Medical Certificate (we also accept Norwegian, Dutch or Irish HSA approved Diving Medical Certificates);
- In the UK, before you attend a diving medical you must complete this questionnaire and get your own doctor to countersign it, and bring that along with you. You can read more details about the HSE diving medical by downloading the HSE’s MA1 document The Medical Examination and Assessment of Commercial Divers;
- To search for a doctor in the UK who is certified to carry out HSE diving medicals click here. The HSE also accepts diving medicals performed by HSA doctors in Ireland, or diving medicals carried out by some doctors in Norway and Holland. Please contact us if you have a medical from these countries to ensure it is accepted.
Please note, all courses at The Underwater Centre are taught in English, unless previously arranged, so you must have a good understanding of verbal and written English.
You are required to bring the following with you:
- Plenty of warm clothing;
- High visibility foul weather gear (waterproofs);
- A pair of steel toe-capped safety boots.
As part of this package you will receive:
- Underwater Centre Overalls;
- Underwater Centre Commercial Diving T-shirt;
- All course books;
- Submission to the HSE of Competency Assessment.
During your course you will also have use of:
- Drysuit, woolly bear, neoprene undersuit for under hot water suits, work gloves, dive knife, neoprene hood and hard hat.
For more information email us on [email protected] or call +44 1397 703 786.