Find a course
Find the course you are looking for by either selecting it from the dropdown or entering a keyword
- Introduction to Commercial Diving Careers Day
- Premium Industry Package
- Construction Career Package
- Standard Career Package
- HSE Closed Bell
- HSE SCUBA
- HSE Surface Supplied
- HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
- Commercial Enriched Air Nitrox
- Subsea Construction
- CSWIP 3.1U Underwater Inspection Preparatory Course
- Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Course
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Surface Supplied & Top Up
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Closed Bell
- IMCA Diver Medic Technician
- IMCA Assistant Life Support Technician
- IMCA Trainee Air Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor Experience Course
- Kirby Morgan Helmet & Bandmask Operator Course
Save with half-price accommodation when booking your HSE SCUBA course*
4 week HSE Scuba Course: £3,450
This course is the minimum requirement to allow the use of Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCUBA) for commercial diving in inshore/inland waters.
Our HSE SCUBA course includes the use of traditional half mask and demand valve methods, but most dives you will undertake are completed in EXO26 and AGA full-face masks, with voice communications between you and the supervisor at all times. The HSE SCUBA certificate is suitable for divers who want to work in media, archaeological, inspection engineering, police, scientific or shellfish diving or indeed any inshore diving work. You will learn how to execute searches and recover objects, rescue another diver in trouble and cope with your own emergency situations. You will experience at least 18 dives to a maximum depth of 30m (100ft) and you’ll experience using commercial enriched air nitrox.
Special Accommodation Offer – your room and all meals for half price
When booking your course, you can also secure full-board accommodation that includes a shared, en-suite room and three meals, 7 days a week – for just £22/day. This offer means you will save over 50% in accommodation costs when compared to our full price accommodation*. Our accommodation is on-site, and only a short walking distance from your diver training site and other facilities, meaning you can focus on your training and we can take care of the rest.
- Diving basics; knots, skills, environments, chambers and air purity;
- 14 dives between 0-15 metres including buoyancy exercises, rigging, lifeline searches and underwater navigation;
- Underwater surveys, seabed surveys, through water communication and standby rescue tasks;
- Night diving;
- Further dives between 20-30 metres including mooring surveys, splicing and tools tasks.
The certificates you will obtain when you complete this course are:
- HSE SCUBA
- First Aid at Work with Oxygen Provider
This course is included in our commercial diving packages (see related courses).
*Accommodation charged at £22 per day. Full price is £44 per day. Offer includes fully-serviced, shared, en-suite room and food (3 meals, 7 days a week). Other additional charges for laundry are not included.
Dates & Prices
Please note: Dates marked as Red are Full
For the most up-to-date course dates and availability please contact our student advisors.
In order to be able to attend our HSE SCUBA course you will require the following:
- PADI or BSAC sport diving certification or equivalent
- Open-water diving experience (sport diving)
- An ‘in-date’ United Kingdom HSE Diving Medical Certificate (we also accept Norwegian, Dutch or Irish HSA approved Diving Medical Certificates);
- In the UK, before you attend a diving medical you must complete this questionnaire and get your own doctor to countersign it, and bring that along with you. You can read more details about the HSE diving medical by downloading the HSE’s MA1 document The Medical Examination and Assessment of Commercial Divers;
- To search for a doctor in the UK who is certified to carry out HSE diving medicals click here. The HSE also accepts diving medicals performed by HSA doctors in Ireland, or diving medicals carried out by some doctors in Norway and Holland. Please contact us if you have a medical from these countries to ensure it is accepted.
Please note, all courses at The Underwater Centre are taught in English, unless previously arranged, so you must have a good understanding of verbal and written English.
You are required to bring the following with you:
- Plenty of warm clothing;
- High visibility foul weather gear (waterproofs);
- A pair of steel toe-capped safety boots.
As part of this course you will receive:
- Underwater Centre Overalls;
- Underwater Centre Commercial Diving T-shirt;
- All course books;
- Submission to the HSE of Competency Assessment.
During your course you will also have use of:
- Drysuit, woolly bear, work gloves, dive knife, neoprene hood and hard hat.