Find a course
Find the course you are looking for by either selecting it from the dropdown or entering a keyword
- Introduction to Commercial Diving Careers Day
- Premium Industry Package
- Construction Career Package
- Standard Career Package
- HSE Closed Bell
- HSE SCUBA
- HSE Surface Supplied
- HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
- Commercial Enriched Air Nitrox
- Subsea Construction
- CSWIP 3.1U Underwater Inspection Preparatory Course
- Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Course
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Surface Supplied & Top Up
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Closed Bell
- IMCA Diver Medic Technician
- IMCA Assistant Life Support Technician
- IMCA Trainee Air Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor Experience Course
- Kirby Morgan Helmet & Bandmask Operator Course
Tom Hastings, Subsea Construction, CAD.375
Covering welding, burning, rigging and slinging, this course gives you key skills for the subsea construction industry.
2 week Subsea Construction: £2,820
This two week course has been designed following feedback from diving contractors on what skills they would like you to have when starting out as a commercial diver. This course builds on the underwater and surface tools training you will receive during your HSE diver training on our commercial diving package courses. Our Subsea Construction course will ensure you have the skills, experience and knowledge to get started in your career as a commercial diver.
Welding and Burning
Underwater welding and burning are key skills sought by many diving companies in the civil engineering field. Most of these companies employ a diver who can weld and burn effectively.
Our intensive welding and burning course – a combination of lectures, welding and burning on dry land in our purpose built welding bays, and welding training underwater in our bespoke subsea welding station – gives you the key skills in these specialist areas.
During the course you will also learn the use of underwater oxy-arc cutting equipment and the use of a surface cutting torch. This will provide you with an excellent introduction to surface and underwater welding and, although it takes time to become a completely competent welder, you will be competent to weld an anode onto an underwater structure or vessel and cut through a plate and bar of various thicknesses using oxy-arc cutting equipment. Before receiving your certification you will need to produce test pieces for examination purposes.
Rigging and Slinging
Knowledge of the correct procedures used in rigging and slinging are vital when starting out as a commercial diver. This course focuses on rigging and slinging skills and will give you a familiarity with the equipment and measures required to work safely as a commercial diver. During your tools training you will already have been taught to competently use the basic mechanical lifting and rigging tools such as lifting bags, tirfors, and how to carry out a flanging task: this course will build on that knowledge providing practical underwater and classroom-based training in items such as chain hoists, shackles, strops, lever hoists, ratchet cable pullers, pulley blocks and use of davits.
On successful completion of your welding, burning, rigging and slinging training, those assessed as competent will then go on to complete a ‘job’ on one of our purpose-built steel structures, giving you experience in working as part of a commercial diver construction team.
Price: £2,820 For all available dates and prices click here.
This course is delivered on a full-time basis.
This course is included in our Premium Industry Package and Construction Career Package (see related courses).
For more information email us on [email protected] or call +44 1397 703 786
In order to be able to attend our Subsea Construction course you will require the following:
- HSE Surface Supplied or equivalent
- An ‘in-date’ United Kingdom HSE Diving Medical Certificate (we also accept Norwegian, Dutch or Irish HSA approved Diving Medical Certificates);
- In the UK, before you attend a diving medical you must complete this questionnaire and get your own doctor to countersign it, and bring that along with you. You can read more details about the HSE diving medical by downloading the HSE’s MA1 document The Medical Examination and Assessment of Commercial Divers;
- To search for a doctor in the UK who is certified to carry out HSE diving medicals click here. The HSE also accepts diving medicals performed by HSA doctors in Ireland, or diving medicals carried out by some doctors in Norway and Holland. Please contact us if you have a medical from these countries to ensure it is accepted.
Please note, all courses at The Underwater Centre are taught in English, unless previously arranged, so you must have a good understanding of verbal and written English.
You are required to bring the following with you:
- Plenty of warm clothing;
- High visibility foul weather gear (waterproofs);
- A pair of steel toe-capped safety boots.
As part of this package you will receive:
- Underwater Centre Overalls;
- Underwater Centre Commercial Diving T-shirt;
- All course books.
During your course you will also have use of:
- Dry suit, woolly bear, work gloves, dive knife, neoprene hood and hard hat.
For more information email us on [email protected] or call +44 1397 703 786.