Find a course
Find the course you are looking for by either selecting it from the dropdown or entering a keyword
- Premium Industry Package
- Construction Career Package
- Standard Career Package
- HSE Closed Bell
- CSWIP 3.1U Underwater Inspection Preparatory Course
- Oxy-Arc Underwater Cutting Course
- Subsea Construction
- HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
- IMCA Diver Medic Technician
- IMCA Assistant Life Support Technician
- Kirby Morgan Helmet & Bandmask Operator Course
- HSE Surface Supplied
- HSE SCUBA
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Surface Supplied & Top Up
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Closed Bell
- Commercial Enriched Air Nitrox
- IMCA Trainee Air Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor Experience Course
- Work Class ROV for Industry
- Introduction to Commercial Diving Careers Day
Anna, Short Course on the use of Diving and ROV's in the subsea industry, April 2016
Hydraulics Level 1
3 day course providing a foundation level in hydraulics training
3 day Hydraulics Level 1: £950 + VAT
For a limited time only, the Scottish Government will pay half the cost of several of our training courses, meaning that you can enhance your ROV skills for half price.
Eligible Scottish residents¹ will receive 50% course funding meaning you’ll only pay £570 inc VAT
Please contact us direct for eligibility criteria and more details.
Hydraulics Level 1 is a three day module which comprises a combination of classroom sessions, focussed on collaborative and group working, and practical sessions, where candidates will be exposed to both live and dead working systems. This module is designed to introduce candidates to the concepts and practical application of oil powered hydraulics within industry, typically encountered by the working technician.
On completion of this three day module, candidates will be able to enter the workplace having learned the basic skills needed to positively contribute to an experienced working team of personnel in the area of oil hydraulics.
Candidates will be able to:
- Demonstrate safety awareness as the utmost priority;
- Describe and apply the theoretical considerations of a working hydraulic circuit;
- Identify and describe the typical hydraulic components found on a typical fixed or mobile platform;
- Describe and identify, using recognised processes and procedures, the correct handling, test, maintenance and storage of hydraulic hoses and their associated fittings;
- Competently differentiate between and install a variety of hydraulic fittings and apply their knowledge to typical scenarios found in industry;
- Analyse and discuss the application of a wide variety of components found in both closed-loop and open-loop hydraulic circuits;
- Recognise the differences between fixed displacement and variable displacement systems and describe a range of applications for both;
- Appreciate the requirements for cleanliness in hydraulic systems;
- Identify and appreciate the use of prime movers (electric motors, MA sets, generators) in the delivery of hydraulic flow in number of typical applications, with reference to a wide range of standard equipment;
- Appreciate and identify typical faults and issues found in fluid power systems.
Price: £950 ex VAT (£1,140.00 inc VAT); for the latest available course dates, click here.
You must have been a Scottish resident for a minimum of 12 months. You will not be eligible for Skills Development Fund Subsea Sector (SDFSS) funding for a programme of training if you have already received, or benefited from, SDS funding under the SDFSS or the Transition Training Fund (TTF) and you will not be eligible for the Transition Training Fund after receiving the SDFSS. Please contact us for more information.
Dates & Prices
Please note: Dates marked as Red are Full
For the most up-to-date course dates and availability please contact our student advisors.
Hydraulics Level 1 – BSW Timber, Fort William
BSW Timber, which is based just outside of Fort William, sent three maintenance technicians to take part in the inaugural Hydraulics Level 1 Course, helping to reduce the costs and time which would have previously been spent on a course south of the border.
Ewan Smith, Engineering Manager at BSW said “The feedback from the candidates we put on the course was very positive. The course was well run by knowledgeable instructors, using very up to date equipment. It’s great to be able to get good quality technical training on your doorstep and we plan to use The Underwater Centre in the future for our hydraulic training requirements.”
With highly effective trainers and top of the range hydraulic equipment The Underwater Centre is set up to provide its students with the training to help them succeed in their chosen careers.
- Mathematical skills to SCQF Level V
- Technician Trainee / industrial experience,
- Good standard of spoken and written English.