Find a course
Find the course you are looking for by either selecting it from the dropdown or entering a keyword
- Premium Industry Package
- Construction Career Package
- Standard Career Package
- HSE Closed Bell
- CSWIP 3.1U Underwater Inspection Preparatory Course
- Subsea Construction
- HSE Surface Supplied Top Up
- IMCA Diver Medic Technician
- IMCA Assistant Life Support Technician
- Kirby Morgan Helmet & Bandmask Operator Course
- HSE Surface Supplied
- HSE SCUBA
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Surface Supplied & Top Up
- Experience & Competence Assessment - HSE Closed Bell
- Commercial Enriched Air Nitrox
- IMCA Trainee Air Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor
- IMCA Trainee Bell Diving Supervisor Experience Course
- Introduction to Commercial Diving Careers Day
Simon James, ODTR, October 2015
Fibre Optics - Systems, Integration and Testing (OTDR)
Learn to deal with the handling, maintenance and testing of fibre optics within the marine environment
2 day Fibre Optics + 1 day Systems, Integration and Testing (OTDR): Book all 3 days for £990 + VAT
Students will gain experience of a wide range of practical termination techniques (3M ST Hot-melt, Unicam crimp and Fujikura fusion splice) along with a thorough theoretical grounding in industry standard fibre optic specification equipment as found on typical work class ROV systems.
The course focuses on maintenance and testing of typical fibre networks including use of FORJ (Fibre Optic Rotary Joint), fibre optic slip-rings, which allow fibre optic signal paths through a winch or other rotating device; and CWDM (Coarse Wave Division Multiplexing) is a way of using simultaneous light signals at the same time on the same fibre; different signals are distinguished by their different wavelengths.
Students will also enhance their diagnostic and testing skills through practical exercises utilising advanced test equipment, for example fibre inspection scope, light meter and source and OTDR*.
All of the practical elements of this course are delivered in a typical ROV context. Safety and other legislative compliance (FIA) is emphasised throughout.
On completion of this course, candidate will have experience of the full spectrum of ROV data communications system, incorporating termination, jointing, testing and interpretation of data/data loss signal strength.
Price for 2 day Fibre Optics: £710 ex VAT (£852 in VAT);
Price for optional 1 day OTDR: £280 ex VAT (£336 in VAT)
On completion of the course, students will have experience of the following:
- Be able to describe the dangers of the light source and fibre system
- Will appreciate the different types of termination as seen on ROV systems
- Be able to describe the different types of fibre and how they are related to ROV systems
- Gain an appreciation of the optical components and systems involved in the transmission of data from topside to subsea
- Appreciate the benefits the fibre optical system can deliver
- Be able to describe the losses incurred in the data transmission system
- Be able to Interpret and analyse data recording equipment
- Appreciate the need to manage the budget loss incurred on a full ROV spread
- Appreciate the need to de-bur the steel strengthening tube
Students will also gain practical experience of the following, along with our custom built Photonics equipment:
- Create a Job Safety Analysis and perform a Tool Box Talk
- Experience the main termination procedures – ST Hot Melt, ST Fast connect and fusion splicing
- Perform functional tests on their fibre terminations
- Measure and record their own accumulated losses and how these losses effect total budget for a typical ROV system
- Candidates will experience loss testing over typical fibre network components e.g. FORJ
- Conduct a full OTDR trace and analysis of a complete WROV system*.
*OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) is an additional day to the 2 day Fibre Optics Course, and is available at a cost of £280 ex VAT (£336 in VAT)
For more information and available dates email us on email@example.com or call +44 1397 703 786.
Dates & Prices
Please note: Dates marked as Red are Full
For the most up-to-date course dates and availability please contact our student advisors.
Students are expected to engage positively with the course material.
The course is delivered in English and good written and oral communication skills are required.
Students should also be able to handle mathematical calculations to SCQF Level V.
IMCA guidelines for ROV employers recommend that personnel entering the ROV industry should have a nationally-recognised technical or trade qualification completed in electrical, electronic, hydraulics or mechanics and a certain amount of technical experience. This 2 day course, with an additional day for ODTR, allows those who have technical proficiency to strengthen their CV and increase their employability for the ROV industry.
You can read the full IMCA guidelines here.
Please note, once you have completed your ROV course, you will also require an Offshore Survival, Offshore Medical and MIST certification to work offshore. Read more about the offshore industry requirements here.
You are required to bring the following with you:
- Plenty of warm clothing
- High visibility foul weather gear (waterproofs)
- Safety footwear (e.g. steel toe caps. Footwear must meet the requirements of the Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 2002, and preferably have a ‘CE’ marking.)
- An up to date copy of your CV
- You will also need to bring some basic stationery – including a Casio FX83ES scientific calculator, notebook, pens/ pencils
For more information email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 1397 703 786.