Find us on Facebook Connect on LinkedIn Follow on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Get us on Google


At The Underwater Centre we appreciate the financial commitment involved in retraining. We will therefore do what we can to provide advice and support to ensure you start your new career on the right foot. These are just some suggestions of options to consider for financing your studies:

Professional and Career Development Loans

Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans that can be used to help pay for work related learning. You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year’s relevant unpaid practical work). The Young People’s Learning Agency will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards. The loan can be used to pay course fees or other costs such as travel and living expenses. You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support such as grants or bursaries. Because the Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial loan product, they should only be considered as an option once all other student funding options have been investigated. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit or contact Careers Advice on 0800 100 900. Our learning provider registration number is: 11798.

If you have been made redundant, some previous employees have been given financial assistance towards a retraining programme, for example, H M Armed Forces, Corus, or some car manufacturers.

Forces Personnel

CTP_Preferred-Supplier_rgbStandard Learning Credits, Enhanced Learning Credits and Individual Resettlement Training Costs are all schemes run to help servicemen and women obtain grants through their unit towards training to support their personal development.  Our learning provider registration number is: 1593.

The following ROV courses are eligible for Tier 3 ELCAS funding:

Do you need to pay VAT?

If you are, or the company you work for is, registered for VAT in the UK, the VAT charged may be reclaimed from H M Revenue & Customs via your VAT returns as usual.

If you are, or the company you work for is, registered for VAT in another country within the European Community, the normal business to business rule for services applies. This means that upon provision of the appropriate documentation to The Underwater Centre, your course will be subject to the reverse charge for VAT.   The invoice will include the narrative “Customer to account for VAT”. You, or the company you work for, should include the invoice on the next VAT return as a sale and also as a purchase. The VAT can then be reclaimed as usual.

In certain circumstances, if you are, or the company you work for is, based outside the European Community and provide the appropriate documentation to The Underwater Centre, the provision of courses comes outside the scope of UK VAT. This means that no VAT is charged on your invoice so no further action is required.

Speak to one of our Student Advisors for the necessary paperwork; or call +44 1397 703786.


You may choose to set yourself up as self-employed.  For small business support, visit the corresponding site to where you live:

England – or call 0845 600 9 006

Ireland – or call 0800 027 0639

Scotland – or call 0845 609 6611

Wales – or call 03000 6 03000

Additional Sources

  • There may be additional funding available within your local area from government or industry.  Contact your local support organisations such as your Chamber of Commerce and Job Centre.  You can also regularly check our blog and this page, as we will update when any new sources of funding become available.
    • Please note:  the recent funding from Skills Development Scotland has now closed.  As far as we are aware there are no plans to run the scheme again, however we will update this page accordingly if anything changes.
  • Learn Direct Scotland may be able to provide information on funding which is available to you. Call 0808 100 9000 or visit
  • If you have been unemployed for a certain amount of time, you may be eligible to receive funding towards training from the Department of Work and Pensions.  Ask your local JobCentre Plus for more details.
  • In some circumstances, grant assistant may be available for training from your Local Enterprise Company, details of which can be provided by our student advisors or through your local council website.

For more information or help with funding applications then email us on or call +44 1397 703 786.